Become an in home care educator
P: 1300 164 202

Provide education and care for children in their own home

In home care educators provide child care for families who work non-standard or variable hours, live in a geographically isolated area or have complex or challenging needs. As an educator, you are responsible for creating a tailored education and care program for the children in your care. You can choose to operate as a self-employed contractor and set your hours and rates or work predetermined hours as an employee of a given service provider.


Can I become an in home care educator?

If you are interested in becoming an in home care educator, you will need to be registered with an approved in home care service provider and as a minimum:

  • Hold a Certificate III level qualification in a relevant course or be working towards a Certificate III qualification
  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Be an Australian resident, permanent citizen or have the relevant visa to allow employment on a continuous basis for 12 months or more
  • Hold a current Working with Children Check acceptable in the state or territory in which they intend to work
  • Undertake a National Police Check
  • Hold a current First Aid Certificate

Some service providers may have additional onboarding requirements; they will outline these requirements when you contact them.

Support for educators

The in home care support agency will assist you in your role by:

  • Providing guidance and resources for delivering education and care in the family home, including tips for working with families who have complex needs
  • Providing an opportunity for you to discuss any concerns relating to the safety of the physical environment in which you are working
  • Establishing a community of practice amongst educators

How it works

White icon featuring two ticks inside a box
1. Expression of interest

Email us to submit an expression of interest, or to enquire about the program.

White icon featuring three horizontal lines
2. Family Management Plan

We’ll work with each family to assess their application and develop a Family Management Plan. The Family Management Plan is a document capturing the family’s child care requirements, including each child’s education and care needs.

White icon featuring a document inside an envelope
3. Contact services

If the family is eligible for the in home care program, we’ll email them a list of service providers in their area. Families can then contact each service to find out more about fees, policies and procedures, and educator availability.

White icon featuring a clock
4. Wait to be matched

All families are placed on the in home care support agency waitlist. Service providers monitor this list and advise when they can match a family with a suitable educator.

5. Connect with an educator

Once a place is available, the service will connect the family with a qualified educator who meets their needs. Supported by home visits and regular communication from the service provider, educators will create and implement an educational care program that caters to each child’s needs.

Find a service
If you are interested in becoming an in home care educator, please contact the registered service providers below.

Northern Territory

No items available.
Contact the in home care support agency to ask any questions you might have.
Need Support?
You can request the use of an interpreter or
we can refer you to a teletypewriter service.
Feedback and complaints

Your experiences are valuable in helping the in home care support agency to understand the impact of in home care services. If you believe your rights have been violated, are unhappy about a decision made on your behalf, or have been subjected to unfair or discriminatory behaviour, please let them know. The agency also welcomes you to share anything that can be implemented, improved upon or continued for the future benefit of the program.

Our feedback and complaint process is confidential, and you can remain anonymous.

The In Home Care Program is funded by the Australian Government Department of Education, Skills and Employment as part of the Child Care Package.